Skip to content

Top goal setting mistakes

Top goal setting mistakes

What are the top goal setting mistakes that people make?

Whether we want to achieve healthy relationship, improve our health, achieve inner peace, we start creating goals that will help fulfill our super-objective and vision in life.

Goal setting helps to improve and enhance our relationships, health, happiness, career, and business according to various studies. Unfortunately, the majority of people fail to achieve their goals in life due to many various reasons.

Top goal setting mistakes

Impatience

This is a big one! Whenever we want to achieve something, we usually want it now, not tomorrow or the day after. If we don’t see immediate results or signs that we are getting closer to our goals and vision, we tend to give up.

One of the best ways to combat impatience is to develop a plan and not to expect immediate results due to the fact that many of us give up right when we are about to reach what we dream of having.

Lack of motivation

Lack of motivation is a major reason why people fail to achieve their desires in life. Usually if a goal is too hard to achieve, people tend to lose their motivation quickly.

One of the best ways to increase motivation is to look at the end result. When you keep focusing at the benefits you will achieve in the long run, you are more likely to get out of your comfort zone, do whatever it takes, and stay motivated.

Fear

Fear is what keeps most people stuck where they are. Whenever we want to accomplish something, we start asking ourselves questions such as:

• What if I try and fail?
  • What if I don’t do well?
  • What if I don’t accomplish what I want?

I’m not going to tell you that everything is going to be perfect and you won’t face any obstacles on your way, but if you don’t face your fear and stay in your comfort zone, you will not be able to move forward and reach your goals.

Remember, the only way not to make any goal setting mistakes is to not try at all.

Next time when you set a goal and fear you will fail, go ahead and do it any way. You will then find your fears have no basis.

Not setting time to visualize your goals

Let’s face it, if you don’t use visualization to help you program your subconscious mind with what you want to achieve, it is likely that you won’t reach your goals.

Visualization is my personal favorite method to use to help me focus on what I want in life. It is also one of the best methods used to raise your vibration and increase your energy as I discussed in my book “the ultimate guide to achieve your goals.” When your energy is high, you will be more inclined to keep going until you achieve your dreams.

Not setting clear goals

Some folks tend to think in general such as “I want to be rich” “I want to lose a lot of weight” “I want to travel every where.” These statements however are not specific.

Your goal has to be specific and should be in the present tense such as “I want to make 10,000 a month” “I want to travel to Greece” “I want to lose 10 pounds in three months” and so on…

Having clear goal helps your subconscious mind understand the message you are trying to send and it helps you know when you get there.

Procrastination

Among the top setting goal mistakes that people make is the fact that everything has to be perfect before you start taking a step towards your goal. If you believe in this concept, then let me tell you that your goal is not reach perfectionism; your goal should be to reach excellence, which is very different than perfectionism.

In my previous post “How to stop being a perfectionist?” I mentioned how seeking perfectionism is a major cause for worry and anxiety and it can have a negative impact on reaching your vision.

Remember that the process to success is a “ziz-zag” journey as discussed by my friend, the master Rob White.

Now that you are aware of the top goal setting mistakes people tend to make, you can start making changes in your daily routine, so you can avoid all of these pointers.

Do you know that only 3% of the world’s population manage to plan and reach their goals? The main goal for 2achieveyourgoals.com is to help you become from the top 3% of the world’s population who know how to achieve any goal they desire in all areas of life. ”The ultimate guide to achieve your goals was released to help you achieve everything your heart desires. To check 2achieveyourgoals.com books, click here

For more information, read:

How to reach your goals?

Power of positive thinking

How to control your emotions and overcome negative thoughts?

Win your lover's heart The ultimate guide to achieve your goals How to have peace of mind

11 Comments

1. Evan says:

I think having small celebrations can help with motivation too. You didn’t reach your goal completely this week? That’s OK celebrate that you took positive action and are closer than last week – that’s worth celebrating.
    Evan recently posted..Are We Spiritual Yet?

2. Hi Dia!

LOVED this! So many bloggers write about how to set goals. I love that you highlighted the problems, the mistakes we often make when we set goals for ourselves.

If I were to identify one or two places my goals suffer it would be 1) not setting them in areas I perhaps ought to and 2) impatience with my growth/progress. I suppose that impatience is related to a strand of perfectionism that exists somewhere in me.

So, thanks for this awesome post. I got a lot out of it, Dia!
    KenWert@MeanttobeHappy recently posted..How to Live Daily, Filling Each Moment with Meaning and Purpose

3. Dia,

Moving and helpful post. For me, I can identify with fear getting in way of my goals. Too often, I push away my goals thinking I can’t possibly achieve them or I’m scared to try.

But as you say, “Next time when you set a goal and fear you will fail, go ahead and do it any way.” This is what I can faith – and faith can be our greatest resource.

Blessings to you,

Alex

4. Adrienne says:

Oh Dia,

I saw some of the mistakes I made in the beginning with goal setting. I guess before I ventured online I never really thought about goals. So when I began my online journey I started writing down the tasks I needed to achieve each day in order to move myself toward my what I wanted but I never really thought about the end results.

You know we all have that “vision” of where we want to be in life but it took me awhile before I understood the importance of writing it down and visualizing the outcome.

I did have some of that initial fear in me of could I actually do this but I eventually worked through all of that and I honestly believe I’m in a much better place now. Thank goodness! :-)

Thanks Dia as always having us see what we should be doing if we aren’t already.

~Adrienne
    Adrienne recently posted..How To Set Up Social Media Icons In WordPress Using Socialize

5. Bellaisa says:

I like the part about visualizing your goals. I agree, when your energy is at a high vibration you can really attract great things to you. I try to appreciate what I have right now while still visualizing what I want in the future. I find that appreciating what I have right now keeps me on a high energy level as well and allows me to bring what I want even faster – because I do put more effort into it because I feel so good about it. Am I rambling? I feel like I’m rambling. Let’s just say that I get what you are saying.
    Bellaisa recently posted..The Top Online Dating Mistakes to Avoid Unless You Like Being Single

6. Not Visualising/setting clear goals gets most. For a goal to be achieved, it must be packed with Meaning. It must be so strong that it would be agony not to achieve it. Thankyou Dia
    be good to yourself
    David
    David Stevens recently posted..The Peter Pan Effect

7. Hi Dia,

Setting short and longtime SMART goals is the best you can do if you want to live a purposeful life. Visualising is my favorite part as well. I believe that ‘what I see is what I can get’. If I cannot see it in a clear way in my mind, I will never be able to get it. But if I can see it, I am almost certain I will be able to get it.

Thanks for sharing your idea’s
    marc van der Linden recently posted..What are you core values? – ( Conclusion ) – 13 tips to let them work for you

8. Hiten Vyas says:

Hi Dia,

Brilliant post my friend.

Regarding trying to be perfect, it reminded me of what being perfect meant to me. I used to always feel like I had to do everything perfectly. This was until I realised there is no such thing as perfect. What I was really experiencing was a feeling of ‘not being good enough’.

You are 100% right about setting specific goals. Vague goals just do not give enough information to the brain.
    Hiten Vyas recently posted..Justin Mazza reviews EmpowerHour coaching!

9. Dia says:

Thank you all for your comments and support :)

10. ayo says:

hello dia

how are you?

thanks for sharing this post because i absolutely benefitted from it considering the current projects i’m working on.

it serves as a reminder of the need to exercise a bit of patience before seeing positive results and also the need to stay motivated when the results dont spring up as quickly as i want them to

finally the importance of handling procrastination once it sets in and as you’ve rightly pointed out aim for excellence rather than perfectionism.

take care and enjoy the rest of the day
    ayo recently posted..The Twenty-Fourth Edition Of The Life Skills Magazine Is Out Now!!

11. EleonoraEOF says:

I believe impatience is enemy number one, Dia. You can overcome lack of motivation, but if you are impatient, there is no cure. It is hard to control impatience-you are either patient by nature or not. Training “your nerves” is possible, but it gives results only for short periods of time. Of course, having clear vision of your goals is also something that must be of top priority for reaching success.
    EleonoraEOF recently posted..Hungry Girl 300 Under 300 Review by Lisa Lillien